Monday, January 3, 2011

Being a judge

In the program I am in this year in school, they put each of us together with another girl we hadn't ever really spoken to and had to have a 20 minute conversation with them. So I got assigned to a girl I had never said a word before, shes not really my crowd. Was surprised she even knew my name. We first asked each other all the typical questions, like where are you from, how many siblings do you have, what are you doing next year. There were awkward lulls in our conversation and we didn't always have something to say, and were waiting for the 20 minutes to be over when we could leave and go have lunch with our own friends .But afterward it made me think. As uncomfortable as it was, I am so happy I spoke to a new person. I feel like so many people, including myself never get to know new people cause we judge them to quickly. In high school, I went to a family friend to take a few tests to see what would be the best career choice for me. Amongst all the tests she gave me, was the Myer-Briggs personality test, and on the part of if I am a judging or perceiving person, judging won out by a lot. And it's true, I see people doing things or dressing a certain way and I judge them. I put them into certain groups in my brain. I meet people and I already think they are one way or another and rarely change my opinion of them. And I hate it. I don't want to be judge. When a lot of people talk to me they say to me oh my God, I thought you were so ____ (insert word that explains what type of person they though I was). I tell people all the time not to judge a book by it's cover, that looks can be deceiving. And it's very true. I am nothing like the person I look like. And I am sure it holds true for many people, so why should I form opinions of them in my mind? So I am happy I had that awkward convo with that girl, I never would have spoken to her otherwise, or have gotten to know her in a different light. So I guess my New Years resolution is to continue to try not to judge people, or at least a little less.

No comments:

Post a Comment