Monday, January 10, 2011

True friends.

I read a quote recently that says, "friends are God's apology for our families". While I do love my family (they're awesome!!!), a friend does fill a void we all have. Having friends is an amazing gift. And I mean true friends. There are people we call our friends; they say hi to us in the hallway (sometimes), we might have a conversation every once in a while and call them up if we need a favor but a true friend is so different. Recently I opened up to a good friend about my past and a lot of the trauma I went through. She didn't tell me she understood or judge me, what she did was she cried. True tears. It meant more to me then words ever could and showed me she really cared and felt my pain.I was scared of confiding in her and showing her how damaged I am, but she didn't care, she was just hurting for me. I just read a quote that sums that experience up "the friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief or bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not healing, not curing, that is a friend who cares". Yes friendship is not based on just talking about the past. But anyone can be friends when it comes to partying, having fun and all the happy stuff .But not everyone can be there for someone in their time of need and truly care. This same friend and I finish each others sentence, usually get what each other is thinking and when we fight we talk about what made each of us upset kind of like a married couple. I do things for her without asking, and she does the same. When I get something for me, I buy two. When I am sad, she will hold me, wipe away my tears and rub my back. While we have been accused of being lesbian, which I am not, I don't get how people can't see that we are just good friends. We are friend soulmates or friendmates for short. I hold her hand sometimes, but can we not love a girl. We don't have to ditch our friends for boys. I actually am happy for the first time in 3 and a half years I am single and I am filling the void by having a lot of good friends and one really close friend. When I was dating I wasn't as close with my best friend because we both had guys in our life to discuss our secrets with, hold us, take care of us, and take up a lot of our time. So people can call me what they want but at the end of the day I am glad I have so many good friends who can care about me in the way I care about them. Friendship is really a gift.
"Friends are those rare people, who ask how we are and wait to hear the answer."
"A true friend never gets in your way unless you are going down."

No comments:

Post a Comment