Sunday, January 9, 2011

Time to study

Starting finals this week. Don't want to study. I have always been able to memorize random facts and if you gave me a piece of paper I can memorize it pretty much straight up, but I have never excelled in school. Standardized tests do not suit everybody. While I have done decently they have never been a good way of testing my intelligence or thousands of other kids for that matter. Not everybody's brain works the same way and not everyone learns in the same manner, but we have one type of system that everybody is supposed to fit into and then we are surprised when kids can't do well in it. The schools systems should cater to every child, whether they are visual or audio learners. Learning can be fun and interactive. There is so much that can be done differently in the classroom, so why isn't it being done?
On another note I still don't understand the set curriculum they teach us. The math we learn is unpractical and something I am sure hardly anyone uses later on in their life. Yes we need to know multiplication and division but do we need to know geometry and trigonometry. Does factoring come in handy later on in life? What about teaching life skills? Like writing checks and filing taxes and the like? We can teach basic life skills in high school that these kids might not learn elsewhere. Sewing, cooking, changing a tire, CPR etc. We have young minds, most of them willing to learn why don't we fill it up with something useful? Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment